Monique works in the firm’s insurance litigation team, having practiced exclusively in compensation law since 2011. Prior to joining Rostron Carlyle Rojas Lawyers, Monique worked for both plaintiff and defendant law firms. As a result, she has gained invaluable experience and an appreciation for each side’s practices. Whilst Monique has worked for both sides, she is passionate about acting for injured plaintiffs and is committed to ensuring that her clients get the best possible outcome. Monique prides herself on delivering exceptional service to her clients as she guides them through every step of the process.
Clayton is a senior member of the commercial, estates and migration practices based in Rostron Carlyle Rojas’ Brisbane office. He has extensive experience advising corporate, SME and high net worth individual clients on all aspects of business dealings, from initial structuring through to share and business acquisitions, corporate compliance and exist strategies. Clayton’s clients rely on his ability to advise on, draft and negotiate a wide array of commercial agreements including finance and security documents, distribution and licence arrangements, property leases, employment and intellectual property agreements. He is held in high regard by his peers for his pragmatic approach to commercial transactions whereby he seeks cooperative solutions to problems that arise while assiduously protecting his clients interests.
Clayton has significant experience preparing estate plans for individuals which include drafting buy-sell deeds for shareholders in proprietary limited companies. He provides peace of mind to clients who want to ensure their estate passes to their nominated beneficiaries in the safest and most tax-effective manner, and is well-positioned to discuss the use of trust structures in wills. Clayton also prepares enduring powers of attorney, advance health directives and death benefit nominations for clients as part of their complete estate plan.
As a registered migration agent Clayton is able to leverage his strong commercial and structuring skills in advising clients on business migration into all states and territories of Australia. Beyond business migration he is experienced in preparing skilled migration and partner applications, conducting appeals against visa refusals in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and arguing against visa cancellations.
- Security and loan arrangements
- Trusts and structuring
- Commercial agreements
- Corporate advice
- Share and asset sales/ acquisitions
- Estate planning and administration
- Migration law (focus on BIIV, skilled migration, partner visas)
Renée is a Senior Associate and Accredited Family Law Specialist in Rostron Carlyle Rojas’ family law department, and has practised primarily in the family law sector for over 10 years.
Renée commenced her career in the legal profession in Central Queensland, before moving to Brisbane in 2012. While practising in a regional area, she had many clients who were involved in family partnerships which had to be considered in the division of property between spouses, and clients undertaking fly-in fly-out work around which parenting arrangements were negotiated. She has been involved in advising clients who have complex property and financial structures, and assisting them achieve effective financial outcomes for the future, as well as advising clients in parenting matters where there have been allegations of family violence and risk of abuse to children.
Renée takes a practical and commercially focussed approach to providing her clients with advice and assisting them to resolve issues in dispute regarding their financial matters. She is empathic and understanding of the conflict and emotion which clients often face when resolving parenting arrangements following separation.
Renée has successfully assisted her clients in resolving their issues in dispute via negotiations or at Mediation, and also litigated numerous matters in the Family Court of Australia and Federal Circuit Court of Australia.
- Property settlements and spousal support for married and de facto couples
- Parenting arrangements for children, including recovery and relocation orders
- Financial Agreements entered into either before or during a marriage or de facto relationship
- Child support arrangements for children including Binding and Limited Child Support Agreements
- Admission as a Legal Practitioner of the Supreme Court of Queensland
- Admission to the Roll of Solicitors of the High Court of Australia
- Queensland Law Society
- Family Law Practitioners Association of Queensland
- Child Protection Practitioners Association of Queensland Limited
- Greater Brisbane Family Law Pathways
Sean is a Senior Associate in Rostron Carlyle Rojas’ Brisbane property and commercial team. He has extensive experience assisting for SMEs and individuals in business structuring, intellectual property, asset protection, commercial agreements and estate planning. Sean has acted on a range of matters including:
- Assisting businesses with major and complex projects including restructures, business purchases, share sales, corporate governance issues;
- Advising and assisting associations with corporate governance issues;
- Drafting and advising clients on a wide range of commercial agreements;
- Making applications for trade marks and assisting with the defence and application of oppositions;
- Resolving copyright and domain name issues;
- Drafting loans and the security of those loans;
- Dealing with PPSR disputes;
- Drafting trusts and asset protection;
- Wills and estate planning;
- Leasing for retail, industrial and commercial premises; and
- Lease disputes and recovery action from tenants.
Michael has been with Rostron Carlyle Rojas since early 2016 as a member of the commercial litigation team. Having started in the firm’s Brisbane office and now being based in Sydney, he has serviced clients across Australia.
Since joining the firm, Michael has been closely involved in delivering results for clients involved in complex litigation and adjudication in both State and Federal Courts as well as having acted for clients in a number of alternative dispute resolution forums. Michael is a keen strategist who works to minimise the effects of litigation on his clients.
Michael has particular experience across the following fields:
- Domestic and commercial building and construction disputes
- Security for payment disputes and adjudications
- Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Corporate restructure
- Personal property securities, secured and unsecured debt recovery
- Contractual disputes
Michael is highly competent in the areas of building and construction law and insolvency. He has presented on topics of defective building works and security for payment legislation in both Queensland and New South Wales to industry stakeholders and members groups such as HIA and Master Builders.
As an accredited member of the Australian Restructuring Insolvency Turnaround Association, Michael works closely with leading insolvency practitioners. To compliment his court experience in dealing with complex corporate insolvency matters, Michael has completed the Advanced Certification in Insolvency, Restructuring and Turnaround accreditation through ARITA.
- Advanced Certification in Insolvency, Restructuring and Turnaround, ARITA
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, College of Law
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, University of Victoria, B.C. Canada
- Legal practitioner of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Legal practitioner of the High Court of Australia
- Member of New South Wales Law Society
- New South Wales Business Chamber of Commerce
- Master Builders
Jos works across the firm’s Insolvency and Litigation teams. Prior to joining the firm, Jos was the national head of a law firm owned by an ASX 200 company where he was in charge of the firm and 65 professionals across 3 states.
While Jos’ bread and butter practice over the past decade has been in debt recovery litigation, he brings with him extensive experience in broader commercial litigation, and particularly corporate and personal insolvency matters.
Jos has acted for a wide range of clients including public companies, financial service providers, debt purchasers, small to medium enterprises, large local government departments, local governments, schools, creditors, liquidators and trustees.
Jos has appeared extensively in both contested and uncontested litigation (for plaintiffs and defendants) in various states.
Outside of work Jos enjoys (or at least tries to enjoy) staying fit by training for triathlons, playing golf and fishing. Jos is a rugby union tragic.
- Legal Practice Management Course – Queensland Law Society
- Juris Doctor – Bond University
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice – The College of Law
- Bachelor of Business Management – University of Queensland
- Admitted to the High Court of Australia
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of Queensland
- Admitted to the Federal Court of Australia
- Member of the Queensland Law Society
- Member of the Australian Institute of Credit Managers
- Member of the Local Government Finance Professionals
- Member of the Local Area Rates Managers Association
Irfan Ebrahim is a Senior Associate in our Construction litigation team. Prior to joining Rostron Carlyle Rojas Lawyers, Irfan worked in Abu Dhabi for a top tier law firm headquartered in Singapore.
Irfan brings with him a wealth of experience, having practiced law in three different jurisdictions. Irfan’s main area of practice is in construction law and he has advised and acted for principals, contractors, sub-contractors and engineers with respect to both front end and back end construction law matters. Some of Irfan’s notable matters include:
- acting for and providing legal advice to a real estate developer with respect to a number of
large-scale real estate projects;
- advising a multinational corporation with respect to a $76 million construction dispute; and
- successfully acting for a subcontractor in a claim made against a main contractor in an arbitration where the total amount in dispute was $45 million.
Irfan has authored the Legal Advisor Column in a popular weekly publication in Abu Dhabi. He has also presented papers at seminars and workshops.
Ying is a Senior Associate in our Property and Commercial Team. Her key practice areas include property transactions including buying or selling developed commercial property, residential and commercial development sites, hotels or rural property, and residential sales and purchases.
Her work also includes providing advice on contractual issues in transactional works, contractual negotiations, due diligence, foreign investment review board applications and submissions. Ying also has experience in commercial leasing transactions for both landlord and tenant including drafting of lease documentation, complex negotiations and enforcing obligations of a lease. Her experience in this area includes commercial leases for office towers owners, shopping centre owners, commercial property owners, and retail premises.
Ying also has extensive experience in assisting international investors in their investment and business ventures in Australia. She has a strong understanding of the needs and requirements of off-shore investors, and is an effective communicator (fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese) to her foreign clients. She manages her client‘s business interests with personal commitment. Her commercial and practical approach to negotiation of transactions makes her a trusted and valued adviser to her clients.
- Transactional property works ranging from acquisition or sale of commercial to residential property;
- Development works ranging from small to large scale development projects (from land acquisition due diligence, council’s development approvals, subdivision of land, drafting of off-the plan contracts and disclosures, attending to registrations and conveyancing of the sale of each proposed lot);
- Commercial and retail shop leasing matters;
- Joint venture agreements, project management agreements, shareholders agreements;
- Foreign Investment Review Board applications;
- Purchase or sale of business; and
- Advice in transactional commercial matters.
- Residential and Commercial Conveyancing;
- Retail and Commercial Leasing;
- Loan Agreements and Guarantees;
- Self-Managed Super Funds and Trusts; and
- Commercial Litigation
Elicia has extensive experience in providing advice on all property issues, with a focus on residential, commercial and mixed-use developments and commercial leasing. She works closely with property developers, fund managers, landlords and tenants. Elicia has acted on a range of matters including:
- Residential and commercial subdivision and mixed-use and strata title developments;
- Drafting and negotiating complex contract conditions, put and call option agreements and undertaking extensive legal due diligence;
- Preparations of documents in relation to property development including disclosure statements and off-the-plan contracts;
- Advice on building contracts and other general construction focused matters such as building covenants and design regulations;
- Large scale acquisitions and sales of residential, commercial and industrial sites;
- Preparation of various business governance agreements including development agreements and joint venture agreements;
- Leasing for retail, industrial and commercial office floor space;
- Lease disputes and recovery action from tenants.